Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Smackdown: Character vs. Author -aka- Character Development

Excerpt from a Character Interview with Deirdre Rose, main protagonist of my yet to be named time travel adventure.


Author: What word best describes you?

Deirdre Rose:
 I already told you that people say I am "willowy"--whatever that means. Hmmm. A word that describes me? Like one I would use to describe myself? Moody, conflicted, unsettled, hopeful, resigned--that's a lot of words I know. I am just trying the flavor of them to see which one fits me. Can one word sum up an entire person? I think you are fooling yourself with this question.

 Well…If I was in a job interview, this is the kind of question where they would be looking for an answer relevant to the job. So since this is a character interview you are probably looking for something relevant to the theme of the story. I guess you just need to figure out what that is and then I can come up with some profoundly insightful one word description that relates to it. Why don't you think about it for a second and let me know.

 Thought of something yet? "Finding ourselves?" That's the best you can come up with? It seems a little hoakey to me…but I guess its early in the process. I am sure you will come up with something a little more refined later. Ok, if this is going to be a story about me finding myself, well what a coincidence I do sort of need to do that, then I would say the word that sums me up is lost.

©2012 Amanda June Hagarty

My most Popular Blog Posts

Bellingham FanSci